VOLUME 5: CALL FOR PAPERS
Recollections of Empire’
Cerae invites essay submissions on the theme of ‘Representations and Recollections of
Empire’. In its broadest sense, empire as a term is used to describe a state or cluster of
lands and states ruled by a monarch or emperor. With its implications of wide and far
reaching dominion, empire as a concept also lends itself to a broad range of subject
areas that may consider a number of cultural groups and historical periods, concepts of
power and dominance, influence and control. Topics may include but are not limited to:
• representations of cultural legacy and achievement in claims to power
• studies in the visual, literary and material culture of empire
• the birth of Renaissance humanism with its focus on classical notions of civic duty
• religious appropriations of the imperial claim to political supremacy
• medieval romance and epic as genres innovating on classical styles and themes
• the imperialist legacy in early colonial propaganda.
As an interdisciplinary journal, Ceræ encourages submissions across the fields of art
history, literature, politics, intellectual history, social studies and beyond. Articles should
be approximately 5000-7000 words. Further details regarding submission and author
guidelines including the journal style sheet can be found online at:
Ceræ is delighted to offer two prizes each for Volume 5. The first prize, of $200 (AUD), will be awarded to the best article submitted by a graduate student, an is sponsored by the University of Western Australia Graduate Research School. This award may be given to either a themed or non-themed submission. The second prize, also of $200 (AUD), will be awarded to the best essay on the theme of ‘Representations and Recollections of Empire’ by a graduate student or early-career researcher.
DEADLINE FOR THEMED ARTICLES: 30th NOVEMBER 2017.
Non-themed articles are welcome at any point in the year.
One thought on “Volume 5: Call for Papers – ‘Representations and Recollections of Empire’”